The Zebra Plant
Admired for its interesting foliage, the Aphelandra squarrosa – Zebra Plant – with prominent white veins, it comes to you in a 15cm plastic nursery pot (terracotta pot not included).
Grown for its vividly striped foliage, like that of a Zebra, the Zebra plant is a showstopper from a distance and imagine the striking addition it will make to your indoor jungle collection…
- You will be rewarded for meticulous care, with bright yellow, orange or red flowers in the Summer months.
- As a flowering indoor plant with striking foliage, this plant makes for happy foliage loving and flower loving plant parents.
- So striking, its leaves will catch your eye and please you and your visitors!
- The Zebra Plant comes from the Brazilian rainforests and as such, it enjoys moist, warm environments.
- Choose a warm humid room for your Zebra Plant.
- Or mist regularly (with a spray bottle or mister) to enhance the humidity in the air around your Zebra Plant.
- Keep in medium to bright light, out of direct sunlight.
- The Zebra Plant is finicky when it comes to watering - under and over watering can cause problems.
- The Zebra Plant enjoys moist soil at all times, that is not soggy.
- So water well when the top 2cm of the soil has dried out, pouring until the water drains right down into the pot and out of the drainage holes at the bottom.
- Avoid allowing the soil to dry out completely.
- The lower leaves will drop if you are over watering.
- The leaves will droop if you are under watering. Read our common plant problems blog and learn how to identify and solve the most commonly experienced indoor plant problems.
- Fertilise your Zebra Plant once every 2 weeks during Spring, Summer and Autumn (the growing season).
Pruning The Zebra Plant:
- The Zebra Plant can get leggy.
- If you want a full, bushy plant; prune the top leggy growth on the main stem as needed, to encourage the bottom healthy and bushy growth to develop.
- The Zebra Plant will produce bright yellow flowers when grown in ideal conditions.
- Keep in the brightest (indirect) sunlight and get the watering regime spot on, to enjoy the blooms of this tropical indoor plant.
- Add a Crochet Pot Sock or Terracotta Pot and Saucer to your Zebra Plant to help finish off the look of this striking indoor plant.
- View our Crochet Pot Sock range and Terracotta Pot and Saucer range in detail in our Plant Accessories category and simply select the pot sock colour option or terracotta pot size that suits on the product page, to automatically include a gorgeous add on to your purchase!
Giving this plant as a gift?
- If you are gifting this product to someone; let us know by leaving a note for the receiver of the gift on the Your Cart page where it says "Add note for the seller" (Click the cart in the top right hand corner before checking out or add the item to your cart before purchasing to see this option). We will then include your message on a tag, as a hand written note, with your gift package.
- If you have any further requests such as corporate gifting, tailored gift orders or special requests contact us directly at email@example.com and we will be in touch to assist.