The Rubber Plant
Ficus Elastica Robusta
This retro indoor plant who’s popularity has hardly dwindled - since it was one of the most prominent plants in the 70s - remains timeless in modern homes and offices worldwide.
With various colours and variegated textures to choose from, the Rubber Plant is available in 4 striking varieties with varying colouring and variegation and it comes to you in a 20cm or 30cm plastic nursery pot (terracotta pot not included).
Please note that our 30cm Rubber Plants only ship within Gauteng, and because of the size of the plant, when it is purchased with other products you will incur an additional R79 delivery charge. Whilst all our 20cm Rubber Plant Varieties ship throughout South Africa at the usual single delivery charge.
The Rubber Plant is tough and low maintenance, making this hardy indoor plant a top pick for plant lovers and newbie plant parents...
- Removes pollutants from the air very effectively through its large leaves, ultimately cleaning the air that you breathe in.
- Low maintenance indoor plant.
- The lush, glossy oval leaves hold water. As such it is a hardy houseplant that can sustain itself (for reasonable periods of time) when you go away on holiday.
- Fast growing in ideal conditions, the Rubber Plant produces new leaves regularly and grows upwards into a gorgeous mature specimen indoors.
- The Rubber Plant prefers bright or moderate light away from direct sunlight.
- Abidjan (rich tones of burgundy and green) can cope in moderate light.
- The variegated varieties Belize (Pink edges and veins with dark green patterned leaves) and Tineke (cream edges with mottled green and pink tones) need bright light in order to maintain their beautifully textured leaves.
- Normal room humidity is sufficient for your Rubber Plant.
- You can mist the air around it (with a spray bottle or mister) every now and then to enhance the moisture in the air, but generally the right lighting and a regular watering schedule will keep this plant very happy!
- Give your Rubber Plant a really good soaking once a week and allow the soil to dry out before watering again.
- Fertilise your Rubber Plant once every 2 weeks during Spring, Summer and Autumn (the growing season). You can stop fertilising during Winter.
- Clean the shiny leaves with a damp cloth regularly to remove accumulated dust. Or you can spray every few months with our leaf shine.
- The “rubber” in the common name comes from the rubbery white sap that both the leaves and stems produce when broken. This sap can be an irritant to humans and it is as such advised to avoid exposure to pets and children and to keep your Rubber Plant out of reach.
- Add a Crochet Pot Sock or Terracotta Pot and Saucer to your Rubber Plant to help finish off the trendy and sleek look of this striking indoor plant.
- View our Crochet Pot Sock range and Terracotta Pot and Saucer range in detail in our Plant Accessories category and simply select the pot sock colour option or terracotta pot size that suits on the product page, to automatically include a gorgeous add on to your purchase!
Giving this plant as a gift?
- If you are gifting this product to someone; let us know by leaving a note for the receiver of the gift on the Your Cart page where it says "Add note for the seller" (Click the cart in the top right hand corner before checking out or add the item to your cart before purchasing to see this option). We will then include your message on a tag, as a hand written note, with your gift package.
- If you have any further requests such as corporate gifting, tailored gift orders or special requests contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch to assist.