Fishbone Prayer Plant
Sorry, currently out of stock
The Fishbone Prayer Plant
Calathea Burle Marx
Highly admired for the deep, thick green veins on a silvery green fishbone shaped oval leaf with purple undersides and stems, the Calathea Burle Marx – Fishbone Prayer Plant – comes to you in a 15cm or 20cm plastic nursery pot (terracotta pot not included).
Boasting slow growing fan like clusters, with a compact growth habit, the Fishbone Prayer Plant is chosen for its vivid and textured foliage. Also referred to as the Ctenanthe ‘Burle Marx’ and commonly known as the Fishbone Prayer Plant or sometimes the Peacock Calathea, this indoor plants is wonderful for hanging baskets and a collectors gem…
- Calatheas are one of the most popular houseplant varieties, so getting yourself a Fishbone Prayer Plant will certainly afford you great plantie bragging rights.
- As a Calathea - of the prayer plant family - it's leaves dance to the light. Curling up at night and unfurling in the morning to catch the most sun rays, surprising and delighting you with a natural dance.
- The Fishbone Prayer Plant is an excellent choice for offices as it can thrive in low to medium light.
- And we know that plants boost your mood, enhance your creativity and help you to feel good, so this indoor plant will make you very happy in your work space!
- Medium to bright light is ideal for your Fishbone Prayer Plant. A low light space is also suitable but just keep an eye on the condition of your plant.
- Keep away from direct sunlight as this will cause the lovely leaves to fade.
- The Fishbone Prayer Plant is happiest in a humid environment.
- The bathroom and kitchen or a room with a humidifier make for a good space for any plants in the Calathea family.
- You can mist the leaves regularly (with a spray bottle or mister) to enhance the humidity in the air around your Fishbone Prayer Plant. This will help it thrive and will encourage faster growth.
- Typically, a warm room with moderate to bright lighting and an excellent watering routine will keep this indoor plant happy. Our other care suggestions are simply extra happiness providers and do not need to be adhered to strictly. If you are unable to maintain these additional standards, you can still grow a very happy Fishbone Prayer Plant by finding the right space and watering consciously!
- Keep the soil consistently moist but not soggy and don’t let your Fishbone Prayer Plant dry out completely between waterings.
- Avoid the plant sitting in water constantly or having wet or soggy soil as Calatheas are prone to root rot.
- We recommend watering well when just the top layer of the soil (2-3cms down) has dried out, pouring all over the soil and allowing the water to run out the holes at the bottom of the pot when watering.
- Fertilise your Fishbone Prayer Plant once every 2 weeks during Spring, Summer and Autumn with a liquid plant food.
Knowing Your Fishbone Prayer Plant:
- The leaves open in the day and close at night - this is where the prayer plant common name comes from. The leaves will move during the day based on the light conditions, this is called Foliar Nyctinasty - the daily oscillation and movement of the leaves in reaction to the light.
- The Fishbone Prayer Plant is safe for pets and kids, so this a great choice for full homes!
Giving this plant as a gift?
- If you are gifting this product to someone; let us know by leaving a note for the receiver of the gift on the Your Cart page where it says "Add note for the seller" (Click the cart in the top right hand corner before checking out or add the item to your cart before purchasing to see this option). We will then include your message on a tag, as a hand written note, with your gift package.
- If you have any further requests such as corporate gifting, tailored gift orders or special requests contact us directly at email@example.com and we will be in touch to assist.