The Calathea Freddy
Calathea Louisae ‘Freddy’
Adored for its striking foliage, and super popular among plant collectors the Calathea Louisae ‘Freddy’ – Calathea Freddy – comes to you in a 15cm or 20cm plastic nursery pot (terracotta pot not included).
The deep, wide green stripes along the veins and smooth feel of the leaves that curl and twist in a circle to fill out the pot, make this simple yet so striking Calathea a favourite for plant collectors and a unique addition to any indoor space...
How The Calathea Freddy Makes You Happy:
- Calatheas are one of the most popular houseplant varieties, so getting yourself a Calathea Freddy will certainly afford you great plantie bragging rights.
- The Calathea Freddy cleans the air that you breathe.
- As a Calathea - of the prayer plant family - it's leaves dance to the light. Curling up at night and unfurling in the morning to catch the most sun rays.
- The small green striped leaves curl around and fill out in the pot and just make you feel happy every time you see it.
- It has been proven that including green plants in our living and working spaces makes us very happy! So putting a Calathea Freddy in your home or office will boost your mood, enhance your creativity and help you to feel good.
Where The Calathea Freddy is Happiest:
- Originating from tropical rainforests, the Calathea Freddy is happiest in warm, humid environments with dappled light.
- Keep it out of direct sunlight, in a moderate to brightly lit space.
- Mist regularly (with a spray bottle or mister) to enhance the humidity in the air around your Calathea Freddy.
- If you would like to increase the humidity further, you can also place it on a pebble filled tray of water to ensure the humid environment that this indoor plant needs to thrive. But this is only really necessary in a very dry room or very dry temperatures.
- The bathroom and kitchen or a room with a humidifier make for a good space for any plants in the Calathea family.
- But typically a room with sunlight and an excellent watering routine will keep this plant happy.
Watering The Calathea Freddy:
- Keep the soil of your Calathea Freddy consistently moist at all times.
- Avoid the plant sitting in water constantly or having wet or soggy soil.
- Water well when just the top layer of the soil (2-3 cm's) has dried out, allowing the water to saturate all the soil and run out the holes at the bottom of the pot.
Feeding The Calathea Freddy:
- Fertilise your Calathea Freddy once every 2 weeks during Spring, Summer and Autumn (the growing season) with a liquid plant food.
- Calatheas are sensitive to the chemicals found in tap water. Brown tips with some yellowing on the edges indicates that you are using the water that is too 'hard'.
- Rain, distilled or filtered water - 'soft' water - is best for any Calathea.
- If you do not have access to rain, filtered or distilled water, allow your tap water to stand overnight so as to ensure that the chlorine evaporates before watering your Calathea Freddy.
Giving this plant as a gift?
- If you are gifting this product to someone; let us know by leaving a note for the receiver of the gift on the Your Cart page where it says "Add note for the seller" (Click the cart in the top right hand corner before checking out or add the item to your cart before purchasing to see this option). We will then include your message on a tag, as a hand written note, with your gift package.
- If you have any further requests such as corporate gifting, tailored gift orders or special requests contact us directly at email@example.com and we will be in touch to assist.